Hart Parr was a very early American builder of gas tractors with the Hart Parr 30-60 being one of the more successful “Prairie” style tractors. However by 1919 the Prairie style tractors were obsolete being far too big and clumsy for the average farmer of the time. The need was for smaller, more nimble tractors. Hart Parr’s first attempt to meet the needs of farmers at the time, the “Little Devil”, was a complete failure and the tractors were recalled. However, the right direction was taken in 1918 with the “New Hart Parr” 12-25 model, which formed the basis for all subsequent Hart-Parr tractors. The “New Hart Parr” was a tractor equipped with a two-cylinder, slow speed, water-cooled engine with force feed lubrication and open gears used to drive the rear wheels. The design after testing in Nebraska was re-rated at 15-30. A smaller model, the 10-20, was added to the range in 1921. The 10-20 and 15-30 were soon joined by a 22-40 in 1923. This tractor featured two 10-20 twin-cylinder engines side by side for a combined displacement of 616 cubic inches. The 22-40 was equipped with a Robert Bosch magneto and twin Schebler Model D carburators. An air cleaner was a $10 option. Apparently an oversized water pump was also an option. The tractor was nearly 2,000 pounds heavier than the 15-30. The 22-40 was promoted for road building and maintenance jobs as well as for farming. The standard 22-40 came with 13 inch wide cast rear wheels with the option of 18 inch wide cast rear wheels.
Only 496 Hart Parr 22-40s were produced.
The 22-40 was replaced in 1927 with the 28-50 model.
The Museum holds one 22-40 in the collection, SN 70319